Onychomycosis, commonly known as nail fungus, affects many lives. Millions of people across America have it. It is a highly contagious, so it spreads to other toes (and people) fast. The toenail fungus healing process is different for everyone, as each of our immune systems works differently.
People who frequent public places, such as pools and changing rooms, are most at risk. Once you have it, it’s really hard to get rid of toenail fungus because the fungus is protected by the nail.
Of course, like any other condition, the sooner you catch it, the easier it will be to heal it. This rule applies to just about every problem that we encounter in life. The healing process will also be much faster because the treatment that you choose won’t have to work as hard to kill the fungus. Don’t delay any longer if you need to start a treatment plan.
Table of Contents:
Identifying the Early Signs of Nail Fungus
When you know how to spot the early signs of toenail fungus, you can catch it more quickly. When you treat it accordingly, the healing process will be much faster. There are different types of fungus, but they are all treated the same way.
- When you have white toenail fungus, it will appear as a white powdery substance on the nail. Many people don’t take notice too much, as they think that they have just rubbed/scraped their nail against something, but this is a big mistake. It’s easy to treat.
- There is also black toenail fungus. This can also be neglected because it is often seen as a bruise under the nail. If you notice that your nail is becoming thick or brittle, and is becoming more discolored, or if you notice a smell, it is fungus and not a bruise.
How to Speed Up the Toenail Fungus Healing Process At Home
Nail fungus takes a while to appear. You have had the fungus growing under your nail for some time now, so the healing process will also take time.
Depending on how bad the condition has become will determine the length of the time it takes to heal. There are different treatments available, and you can do things to help them work faster.
- Foot soaks are one of the best things that you can use to get rid of the fungus. They will soften your nail so that you will be easily able to file the extra layers of nail away. One of the best options is Mintfoot Clinical Strength Foot Soak. It’s healing and relaxing, especially after a long day.
- You should keep your toenails trimmed as much as you can, as this will allow the liquid to get under your nail into your nail bed. This is where the fungi are growing. You’ll likely need specialist tools as fungal toenails can be pretty tough to cut.
- Allowing your feet to breathe will also help to speed up the process because fungus thrives in warm, moist, dark places. Shoes are the perfect breeding ground for fungi, and the more you sweat, the faster the fungus will grow.
The healing process does take up to a year, but it can be a lot faster. As your nail is starting to heal, the first thing that you will notice is that your nail is becoming less brittle. After a while, you will see the discoloration start to go away. As it continues to heal, the odor will also diminish. Just because the nail is healing, doesn’t mean that you should stop treating it. It’s not uncommon for it to return.
How to Treat Toenail Fungus at Home
You probably already know that there are hundreds of products that claim to be the best toenail fungus treatment. It can be frustrating to try to figure out which one you should use. Just remember that the most expensive products aren’t always the best.
There are creams, foot soaks, oils, systems, and prescriptions meds to treat toenail fungus. If you go to your doctor, they will recommend a proven over-the-counter treatment. They don’t like to prescribe anything unless you have a severe infection. This is because the side effects of oral medications can be serious. They can sometimes cause liver damage if you aren’t in good health, so you do have to get your blood checked regularly.
What works well for one person may not work at all for another person. This is common with a lot of treatments, not just antifungal products. However, if a lot of people are having success with a treatment, it’s more likely to work for you.
What Are the Best Toenail Fungus Treatments?
- If you prefer the convenience of applying creams/gels 2 to 3 times a day, Pedinol Pharmacal Fungla Tincture. Read the latest customer reviews on Amazon to find out how well it’s working for other people.
- A treatment that has worked well for a lot of people is Purely Northwest Toenail Fungus System. It contains an antifungal foot wash, a brush-on nail treatment, and a tea tree oil foot soak. These three things work together to kill the fungus under your toes and on your nail. It can speed up the healing process when used regularly. Read the customer reviews on Amazon.com to find out how other people have got on.
The toenail fungus healing process does take quite a while, but remember that the nail also took many months to grow. The fungus itself is fast-growing, and it is strong, which is why it takes quite a while to cure fully. This rule applies to most things in life, so please be patient.
When you start treatment, don’t be discouraged if you have to use it for a month before you start to see results. Usually, you will start to notice some signs of improvement after this period has elapsed. The milder the infection, the sooner that you’ll see some positive changes.
The best thing that you can do is to use the treatment exactly as directed, and continue using it. Be persistent, and don’t give up. You will have healthy toenails again, but it will take time. If you want to show off your feet, there are cover-ups available. Consider applying a specialist antifungal nail polish. This will help to disguise the symptoms of the fungus while also helping with the treatment and recovery process.