How to Use Coconut Oil for Toenail Fungus
Do you need a natural treatment for toenail fungus? Coconut oil is the answer. This oil has antioxidant properties that boosts the immune system and treats nail fungus.
If left untreated, fungus can cause your toenails to fall off and foot pain. Toenail fungus can also lead to swelling and eventually cause malformation in the area of infection.
Any crack in your nails can allow in fungus which increases the likelihood of getting an infection. Coconut oil also has antifungal properties. You may also wish to mix tea tree oil with coconut oil as the two can work in unison to remove fungus from your nails.
Table of Contents:
- 1 How to Apply Coconut Oil to Your Infected Toenails
- 2 If I ingest Coconut Oil, Will It Treat Toenail Tungus?
- 3 Apply High-Grade Virgin Coconut Oil
- 4 Substances to Add to Coconut Oil for Better Results
- 5 Other Useful Products to Eliminate Toenail Fungus
- 6 Upkeep of Your Feet When You Have Nail Fungus
- 7 Treating the Condition & Keeping It Away for Good
How to Apply Coconut Oil to Your Infected Toenails
- Make sure your feet are thoroughly cleaned and dried off.
- Take a small amount of coconut oil and warm the oil up in your hands.
- Massage the oil into your skin and nail bed area, paying attention to the cuticle.
- Apply one drop of tea tree oil on each toenail and rub it in.
If I ingest Coconut Oil, Will It Treat Toenail Tungus?
Coconut oil is created from coconut milk, which is rich in healthy saturated fats. It contains lauric acid, which helps to reduce cholesterol. Monounsaturated fatty acids, such as linoleic acid, are also present which reduces inflammation and improves the health of your bones.
Your health should improve by ingesting coconut oil, but you should also rub it into your nail beds. Coconut oil has been used for centuries for different skin conditions. It repairs dry and cracked skin, fine lines, and acts as a protector from the sun.
Caprylic acid is also found in coconut oil. It is a natural antimicrobial pesticide. Hospitals, schools and health care offices use caprylic acid as a disinfectant for cleaning.
Apply High-Grade Virgin Coconut Oil
Consider unrefined virgin coconut oil because it’s of the highest quality. The oil has not been bleached or gone through any manufacture deodorizing procedures. Refined coconut oil is missing antioxidant and nutrient properties, and that’s why virgin oils are the best.
Virgin unrefined coconut oil that comes from the Philippines is recommended. The coconut oil is made almost immediately after the husks have been removed. Avoid coconut oil that has been hydrogenated, especially if you plan on ingesting it.
Substances to Add to Coconut Oil for Better Results
Use other alternative treatments with coconut oil for enhanced results.
- Tea tree oil is one of the best options for skin and fungal conditions. Also, why not use essentials oils like thyme, oregano, clove, and lavender in a foot bath?
- Apple Cider Vinegar can be used for the treatment of foot fungus. Always use an organic raw unfiltered apple cider, such as Braggs.
Use ½ cup of water mixed with ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and the soak toenails for 10 minutes. Dry your feet off and rub coconut oil into the nail to complete the treatment.
Other Useful Products to Eliminate Toenail Fungus
A pedicure set, shoe sanitizer, and foot bath will also help with the removal of toenail fungus. These items are recommended to make life a little easier and aren’t mandatory.
- A quality stainless steel pedicure set will keep your toenails clean and trimmed. Any time that you use the pedicure set, be sure to wipe off the tools in rubbing alcohol. This will greatly reduce the incidence of infecting other toes with fungus.
- Another good product to use is the UV Total Recovery Shoe Sanitizer. The ultra violet light kills off fungal spores and bacteria in the shoe. This device is an alternative to shoe sprays, sanitizing your shoes in 15 minutes a day.
- Consider investing in a foot bath massaging unit. Add a couple of drops of essential oil or Manuka oil to the bath and soak for 10 -15 minutes. Sanitize and relax your feet. You’ll also get a great foot massage for stress relief.
Upkeep of Your Feet When You Have Nail Fungus
- Change your socks every day and wear shoes or sandals around the home.
- Clean foot scrubbing apparel and toenail clippers with a disinfectant.
- Wipe all nail clipping tools down with rubbing alcohol to keep them sterilized.
- Clean up old shoes and spray the interior with a foot disinfectant spray.
- Pay special attention to the toe areas of sneakers for reoccurring fungus.
- Keeping your feet dry to prevent moisture build up and new fungus developing.
Treating the Condition & Keeping It Away for Good
Eliminating toenail fungus naturally should be easier than a trip to the doctor. Of course, if the fungus infection worsens, please seek medical help.
Removing toenail fungus requires your attention. Set aside 15 to 20 minutes every day for treating the effective area. Coconut oil is an alternative treatment for eliminating toenail fungus and it also keeps your feet moisturized.