How to Use Coconut Oil for Toenail Fungus
If you’re looking for a natural treatment for toenail fungus, coconut oil could well be the answer you’ve been seeking. Coconut oil is a powerful antioxidant with properties that can boost your body’s immune system. It’s also used as a method of treating toenail fungus, helping to restore your nails to full health over time.
If left untreated, a fungus can be a source of embarrassment and pain. Not only will fungus-infected toenails look brittle and discolored, but they can also emit a foul smell, which is often humiliating for the sufferer. Toenail fungus can also lead to swelling and malformation. It’s vital to treat toenail fungus before it reaches this stage.
Cracks in the skin and nails can allow the fungus to seep in, increasing the risk of developing a fungal nail infection. Coconut oil has powerful antifungal properties to help get to the root of the infection. Other natural remedies, including Australian tea tree oil, can also be used in tandem with Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for powerful results.
In this article, we’ll look at how to use coconut oil to treat toenail fungus. We’ll also examine the benefits of adding coconut oil to your diet. Other natural and organic substances can be added to the coconut oil to treat the infection; we’ll take a look at those in detail, too.
Table of Contents:
- 1 How To Apply Coconut Oil To Infected Toenails
- 2 Can I Treat Toenail Fungus by Consuming Coconut Oil?
- 3 Useful Products for Removing Toenail Fungus
- 4 Upkeep Of Your Feet with a Nail Fungus
- 5 Treating The Condition & Keeping It Away For Good
How To Apply Coconut Oil To Infected Toenails
If you’re going to use coconut oil to treat your infected toenails, you’ll need to know how to apply it. If you don’t apply the oil correctly, or you skip a step, you may observe different results. Just follow these simple instructions:
- Clean your feet thoroughly, and make sure they’re completely dry before you start.
- Take a small amount of coconut oil and warm it up in your hands (it may be solid, to begin with, but it will melt when it gets warmer).
- Gently massage the oil into the skin and nail bed area, especially around the cuticle.
- To increase effectiveness, add a drop of tea tree oil onto each toenail and rub it in.
Can I Treat Toenail Fungus by Consuming Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil has gained a reputation as a fantastic health food, with a multitude of benefits for those who incorporate it into their diet. The oil itself is created from coconut milk, which is high in healthy saturated fats. It also contains some important fatty acids:
- Lauric acid – an important substance in reducing cholesterol
- Linoleic acid – an anti-inflammatory, great for improving bone health
- Caprylic acid – a natural antimicrobial pesticide. Some schools and hospitals use this as a natural cleaning product.
Ingesting coconut oil is very likely to improve your health. We recommend Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, which is safe for use in cooking and tastes delicious, according to its many reviews.
However, you can’t rely on consumption as the only way to treat your toenail fungus. You’ll need to rub it into the nail, too. By ingesting and using coconut oil topically, you’re fighting the infection on two fronts and doubling your chances of success.
Coconut oil has been used for centuries as a way to treat different skin conditions. It’s often used to address psoriasis, eczema, dry skin and fine lines. It’s even been found to have small amounts of SPF, making it a natural protector from the sun’s rays.
The Importance of Using High-Grade Virgin Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has become incredibly popular in recent years, with demand soaring. As a consequence, you’ll find an enormous number of types and brands of coconut oil on the market. It’s important that you choose high-grade, unrefined virgin coconut oil when treating your toenail fungus.
Unrefined coconut oil has not been bleached or gone through any deodorizing process when being manufactured. The refining process strips it of its natural antioxidant properties and nutrients, which are effective at fighting infection. That’s why it’s best to choose virgin oils.
Virgin unrefined coconut oil, such as Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil are recommended for treating toenail fungus. This type of oil is made immediately after the husks have been removed, increasing its efficacy. Avoid coconut oil that has been hydrogenated – especially if you plan to use it as part of your diet.
Substances That Can Be Added for the Best Results
One of the best things about using natural treatments for toenail fungus is the fact that you can combine them. Often, when using prescription or OTC treatments, they must be used alone. You can use coconut oil alongside many other natural remedies to enhance results and increase your chances of success.
Here are some of our suggestions for alternative treatments you can combine with coconut oil:
- Tea tree oil is one of the most frequently recommended ways of treating skin and toenail fungal conditions. Simply add a drop of tea tree oil to each affected toenail when you’re rubbing in the coconut oil. You can also add it to a foot spa machine for relaxation with the bonus of healing.
- Essential oils like lavender, thyme, oregano and clove all have bacteria-fighting properties. Why not add these to a foot spa too? This can boost circulation and help keep your feet soft, supple and clean.
- Epsom salt has many powerful healing properties, and it can gently exfoliate your skin and nail. When used in a foot spa or a regular bath, this allows the healing power of essential oils and coconut oil to get to work right away. Simply sprinkle a handful into your foot spa or regular bath and wait for it to dissolve.
- Apple cider vinegar can also be used to treat fungal nail infections and athlete’s foot. Choose organic, raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar for the best results. Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and warm water, and soak your toenails for ten minutes. When your feet are completely dry, rub in the virgin coconut oil to complete your treatment plan.
By combining treatments like this, you should see better results than if you’d simply stuck with one option.
Useful Products for Removing Toenail Fungus
Rubbing coconut oil into your toenails is a great way to fight fungus. Combining it with other treatments makes it more effective. You can even ingest coconut oil to fight the infection from the inside.
There are also some other useful products you can use to help get rid of the toenail fungus and ensure it remains gone. You can cure toenail fungus without using these items, but they make treating the infection a little easier.
- A high-quality stainless steel pedicure set to keep your toenails clean and trimmed at all times. Whenever you use the tools in the pedicure set, make sure you wipe them down with rubbing alcohol afterward. This will ensure that any fungus or bacteria on the tools will be killed. Advise your family members or anyone else living in your household to avoid using your pedicure kit until the fungus has disappeared.
- You should also use a good shoe sanitizer to keep your footwear clean and dry. Warm, damp shoes can provide the perfect environment to breed fungus. If you don’t clean your shoes, you may end up re-infecting your feet each time you wear them. The UV Total Recovery Shoe Sanitizer is a great option. The UV rays kill off the fungal spores, and they’re much more effective than simple shoe sprays.
- A foot bath is a great accessory for treating toenail fungus. Add a few drops of essential oil, tea tree oil or Manuka oil to the bath, and soak your feet for 10-15 minutes. This will sanitize and relax your feet simultaneously. These are also great for stress relief at the end of a long day – treat your feet.
Upkeep Of Your Feet with a Nail Fungus
Of course, it’s important to practice good hygiene and learn how to look after your feet in general. This will speed up your treatment, and also make it far less likely that you’ll suffer from a fungal nail infection in the future.
Follow these simple tips to take good care of your feet and ensure the highest hygiene standards:
- Change your socks every day – a clean pair of antifungal socks every day, of course.
- If you go to the gym or carry out any physical activity that might cause your feet to sweat, change your socks afterward.
- The same goes if you end up getting caught in the rain and have wet feet. Change your socks and shoes. Keeping your feet dry is an essential part of fungus prevention.
- Always wipe nail clipping tools or files with rubbing alcohol after use. Avoid sharing nail clipping tools with other members of your household.
- Clean all your shoes thoroughly, and spray the interior with a foot disinfectant spray. This will help kill any bacteria or fungus lingering in the soles. Focus on the toe area especially, as this is where most fungal infections will occur.
- Apply antifungal powder to your feet each day to prevent moisture build-up.
- Wear clean sandals or slippers around the house, if you can.
- Air your feet now and then, to give the skin a chance to breathe
You should aim to make these tips part of your everyday routine so that you’re always practicing good foot hygiene. Not only will this help with the treatment of your fungal nail infection, but it will also help keep the fungus away for good once you’ve finished the treatment.
Treating The Condition & Keeping It Away For Good
You don’t necessarily need to visit the doctor to treat your toenail fungus. It’s possible to treat it entirely naturally in the comfort of your own home. A combination of natural remedies with coconut oil as the foundation can be very effective in treating fungal nail infections.
Of course, if the fungus infection worsens considerably, or has been causing you trouble for a long, it is recommended that you seek medical help. It may be that you’ve reached the stage where a prescription medicine would be the most suitable treatment. When using prescription medicine, always be aware of the potential side effects, and follow the instructions carefully.
Toenail fungus is not something that will go away on its own. It requires your urgent attention and consistent treatment over a period of months. Your treatment won’t be effective unless you are diligent, and keep using your chosen remedy until the fungus is gone entirely. Even then, it’s recommended that you keep using the treatment for some weeks to prevent reoccurrence.
Coconut oil is an effective treatment for toenail fungus. This is due to the oil’s natural healing properties. It will also keep your feet moisturized and supple for as long as you use it. Make sure you follow the instructions in this article for the very best results.Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is one of the most effective oils on the market for treating fungal nail infections. It comes with plenty of great reviews – use it to get the results you need.