What Are the Best Essential Oils for Toenail Fungus?
While toenail fungus isn’t a pleasant thing to deal with, it can be successfully treated without seeing a doctor. There are things that you can do to treat toenail fungus at home. One of the best ways to get results is using essential oils for toenail fungus.
There are different kinds of essential oils. A select few of them work well for killing the fungus that’s got under the nail. Keep the nail and skin as dry as you possibly can to create a sub-optimal environment for the fungus.
Fungi thrive in warm, moist, and dark places. By wearing socks and shoes, after being on your feet all day, this gives the fungus the perfect place to thrive. The more it grows, of course, the worse the infection will become. Some people lose their toenail completely because they don’t treat the fungus, thinking that it’s no big deal and it’ll go away on its own in time. Unfortunately, that’s not the case.
In this article, we will tell you about essential oils, and why they work so well for killing foot and nail fungus. We’ll also discuss specific oils and explain how to use them to get the best results.
Table of Contents:
How to Use Essential Oils for Treating Toenail Fungus
To kill fungus under the toenail, you need an oil that is capable of sinking through the many layers of your nail. Given the strength of the formula, it’s suggested that you try them undiluted (initially) to see if your skin will tolerate their potency.
- Pro Tip: If they dry out your skin too much, you can dilute them with olive oil. This is a good carrier oil that won’t reduce the healing properties. If you use too much water, you’ll dilute the strength and the oil(s) probably won’t work as well.
Just because a substance is natural doesn’t mean that the body won’t react adversely. If you have an allergy, for example, your body will quickly tell you to use an alternative. A certain amount of trial and error is required until you find an essential oil that works best for you.
Which Essential Oils Are Most Effective?
Essential oils are harvested from the leaves and barks of certain trees/plants. Some have been used by natives for centuries, but they’ve only started to gain popularity in America and Europe more recently. It’s quite amazing how many different skin and nail conditions can be treated.
Tea Tree Oil
Of all the essential oils, tea tree oil is the best way of getting rid of toenail fungus for good. It’s a natural antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory treatment. We recommend that you use Australian Apothecary tea tree oil as we believe that it’s the purest variety.
- For it to work quickly, soak a cotton ball in it and apply it directly to your nail/surrounding skin. Do this 3 times a day (in the morning, after you’ve finished work, and before you go to bed), and allow it to dry out completely.
- You can also use tea tree oil as part of a therapeutic foot soak. If you’re short on time or don’t want to spend hours testing different combinations, we highly recommend the Purely Northwest Toenail Fungus System. Everything contained in this product is 100% natural.
Coconut oil contains many fatty acids that sink into your skin quickly. As they do, they start to remove the fungal membrane.
- To use coconut oil, soak a cotton ball in it and apply it to your clean, dry nails/surrounding skin. Do this a few times a day, and let it thoroughly dry before putting on your socks and shoes.
Here’s some info on how to use coconut oil for treating toenail fungus.
Oil of Oregano
You’ll find that oregano oil has unique and powerful antiseptic properties. It is highly effective at killing fungus of any kind, so it’s recommended.
- Dilute it with coconut or olive oil and apply it to your nail/surrounding skin 2 to 3 times a day, allowing it to sink in properly.
Although not as strong, if you mix orange oil with rubbing alcohol and vinegar, it is effective at killing fungal infections. If you mix it with tea tree oil, you will have a potent combination.
- Just like above, all you have to do to remove fungus from toenails is to apply it directly to the toenail and surrounding skin. Make sure that it soaks in completely.
Jojoba oil has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, and it’s rich in Vitamin E.
It has no odor, and it sinks quickly into the skin, killing the fungus, stopping the inflammation, and restoring the nail back to its original health. It is not as strong as tea tree oil or oregano oil, so it is to experience any dryness when using it.
- Simply apply jojoba oil to the nail and surrounding skin a few times a day, letting it dry thoroughly before putting anything on your feet.
You’ll discover that Pure Moroccan Argan oil has high amounts of the essential fatty acids and Vitamin E that your skin and nails need to stay healthy. It is used worldwide to treat skin irritations and nail fungal infections, as well as many other health ailments.
- Just like the other essential oils above, all that you need to do to use this is to apply one or two drops of the oil directly to your nail, a few times a day. It will soak into the nail and surrounding skin, removing the fungus.
Clearing Up Toenail Fungus Naturally
For the best results with any essential oil, make sure that your nails are trimmed straight across. This allows the essential oils to sink into the toenails/skin so that the condition can be cleared up faster.
Many people with toenail fungus find that their nails are particularly thick. If you’re experiencing this problem, we’ve put together an exhaustive guide on choosing clippers that will cut through the thickest toenails.
Soaking your feet in a bowl of essential oils needn’t be a chore. You can make the experience much more pleasant with an electric foot spa. You’ll often find that it helps in other ways, such as improving circulation in the feet and reducing stress levels.
When you want to get rid of fungus naturally, essential oils for toenail fungus are the best option. They kill the fungi and add nourishment to your nail. This means that a healthy nail can grow back. The sooner that you take action, the more quickly that you’ll heal.