Best Antifungal Toenail Polish – Top 3 Products Compared!
Toenail fungus (also known as Onychomycosis) is a problem that affects several million Americans every year. So, it’s hardly surprising that so many women (and an increasing number of men) want a cover-up, such as the best antifungal toenail polish. You may want to get on with your life without other people realizing that you have toenail fungus, or perhaps you want to conceal the fungus while using a treatment.
A fungal infection penetrates the nail through cuts or cracks in your skin. It starts off as initial yellowing or black speckles, but these common symptoms are often ignored because they don’t hurt (initially). When left untreated it keeps growing, eventually destroying the nail.
It often occurs in people over 60, and also in young people with low immunity. Trauma caused by running, exposing broken toenails to water, poor foot hygiene, excessive sweating, applying coats of regular polish, and the use of non-sterilized clippers are also reasons for infection.
Toenail fungus should be treated, not only for aesthetic reasons, but also to prevent its spread to other nails, and even skin. One of the top polishes, and the one that we strongly recommend, is Dr.'s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish. It’s an excellent cover-up that won’t make things worse.
Table of Contents:
- 1 What’s the Role of Standard Toenail Polish?
- 2 How Does Antifungal Nail Polish Work?
- 3 Antifungal Nail Polish from Nu Wave
- 4 Dr.’s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish
- 5 DaniPro Antifungal Infused Nail Polish
- 6 How Toenail Fungus Can Be Treated
- 7 How to Prevent Toenail Fungus
What’s the Role of Standard Toenail Polish?
You normally beautify your nails by painting them in the desired color. Nowadays, the look can be further enhanced by using nail art – a fast-emerging cosmetic industry which has taken the fashion world by storm.
Coming back to the reason why we use nail polish – to enhance the beauty of the feet, to present a well-groomed look, and to conceal blemishes on the toes. People who suffer from toenail fungus often use toenail polish to hide discoloration.
Is It Safe to Use Regular Polishes on Fungal Toenails?
Don’t be satisfied that toenail fungus has been cured just because it has been concealed. The question that you need to ask yourself is if it is safe to use a normal nail polish on an infected nail? The answer is no. Standard over-the-counter nail polishes are not equipped to treat fungal infections.
Why Should Ordinary Nail Polish Be Avoided?
- The fungus survives in damp, moisture-ridden and dark places. Normal polish traps moisture, providing the ideal environment for the fungus to grow. In addition, it prevents light from reaching the infected nail, further aggravating the condition.
- Another problem is that the fungus gets transmitted from your infected nail to the bottle when you dip the applicator. Thus, every time you use it you are risking a further infection of the fingernails and toenails, too.
Infected toenails need to be kept open and as dry as possible to prevent further damage.
What about the Aesthetics?
Irrespective of which treatment you prefer, your discolored and thickened nails will appear ugly. You don’t want to be saddled with the unkempt dirty look right? There are special antifungal toenail polishes available online that can solve the problem.
These special nail polishes for toenail fungus have a dual purpose, that of concealing the disfigured toenail and simultaneously aiding in eliminating the fungus. They are infused with a fungus-fighting ingredient that will remove the fungus and prevent it from recurring. The best part is that these nail polishes are available in various colors.
The ladies sure will be delighted with this piece of news, but if you are a man, don’t worry. There are also nail polishes that are available in clear tones, thus no one would know you have it on, but it won’t disguise anything. Applying this nail polish is a simple and convenient way to attack the fungus.
How Does Antifungal Nail Polish Work?
The active ingredient in the polish attacks the cell membrane of the fungus. Once the membrane is broken the fungus is rendered useless and is eradicated completely. The ingredients seep right into the bed of the nail and attack the fungus. The polish works from outside to inside, meaning that while it covers the damaged nail, it is also helping with the healing process.
Some of the active ingredients used include:
- Undecylenic acid
- Tea tree oil
Before you start using the nail polish, you need to pay attention to the state of the toes. If your fungus has progressed, you might want to try using Ciclopirox Nail Lacquer 8%. This is a prescription-strength treatment that is only available with the agreement of your doctor.
Preparing Your Nails for Treatment
If it’s just a mild discoloration, the healing will be faster. But, if you are looking at a severely damaged toenail, then the overall healing process is long drawn and time-consuming, so you need to keep at it. A simple polish is unlikely to be enough, so you’ll need a proven treatment.
Here’s what you should do before applying the polish:
- Trim your nails – It is important to trim your toenails short so that the active ingredient is able to reach right inside the nail bed.
- Nail filing – These infected nails are often thick and hard. Hence, you have to gently file the excess layers off.
- Consider buying your own personal pedicure set. Don’t share one with others as they’ll most likely get infected.
- Smoothing – The infected nails are always craggy and rough. Smooth the nails before you apply the nail polish for a better finish.
How to apply Antifungal Polish for the Best Results
- Ensure that the nail is clean and dry before you start applying nail polish. You can start by applying a base coat (antifungal) to prevent further discoloration. Choose the color you fancy and apply one or two coats. Remember to let the coat dry completely before you apply the next coat.
- Apply a top coat to give luster to the polish so that it lasts for longer.
- The base coat and the top coat are not necessary, but they definitely help in protecting the nail from further damage and discoloration.
- Take off the polish once in two weeks at least with a non-acetone nail polish remover. Wash and dry the feet and nails completely before putting the polish again.
Advantages of Antifungal Nail Polish
- Conceals and cures at the same time.
- Reaches the root of the problem.
- Prevents recurrence.
- Prevents the spread of infection.
- Safe to use during breastfeeding and pregnancy.
Antifungal Nail Polish from Nu Wave
Nu Wave has revolutionized the nail polish industry with their Nu Wave Antifungal & Antibacterial Enriched Nail Polish - Anh Thu, 0.5 oz. The nail polishes are not just antifungal, but also anti-bacterial and antiviral thereby the risk of infection causing germs being transmitted is drastically reduced.
- These Nu Wave products are free of formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, and camphor all known to be toxic to the skin.
- They are 100% vegan and gluten-free.
- They are manufactured by two female podiatrists in the US.
What Colors Are Available?
They are available in several shades and in 5 Fl. Oz. bottles, including:
- Shiny range: lavender, red, sheer pink, sheer nude, white, pink, hot pink, blue, light green, turquoise, grey, and copper.
- Matte range: Orange, black.
- Candy apple.
What is Special about NU Wave?
- The nail polish is durable and long-lasting.
- The unique collection of colors and shades.
- No toxic chemicals present.
- Socially committed to their stand against cruelty to animals.
The Nu Wave polish is a popular way of covering up toenail fungus. The manufacturer recommends a base coat and a top coat, along with the nail color itself, for a smoother finish.
Dr.’s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish
Dr’s Remedy of nail care has been brought to fruition by two practicing pediatric surgeons. All nail products from this brand are enriched by the presence of Vitamin C and E to ensure strong healthy nails.
What Are the Ingredients?
The active ingredients in their antifungal nail polish are wheat protein (which will improve the shine of the nails), garlic bulb extract, and tea tree leaf oil (which is known for its antifungal and antibacterial properties). The other ingredients include:
- Ethyl Acetate.
- Butyl Acetate.
- Isopropyl Alcohol.
- Adipic Acid.
- Neopentyl Glycol.
- Citric Acid.
- Vitamin C.
- Vitamin E.
- Stearsalkonium Bentonite.
How Do You Apply It?
Dr’s Remedy nail polish looks like and behaves like any other nail polish. To get a better shade, it must be applied at least two to three times for the desired result. Like any nail polish, care should be taken to let each layer dry completely before applying a fresh coat.
Depending on the condition of the nail the number of coats can be decided – just discoloration will require just one coat, but thicker nails will require more coats. Care should be taken to remove the nail polish with a non-acetone polish once every two weeks. Clean the nail completely and let it dry before applying a new coat of Dr.'s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish, Focus Fuchsia, 0.5 Fluid Ounce.
What Are the Advantages?
- Multiple color choice -38 colors to choose from
- Enriched with vitamin C and E, tea tree oil and garlic extract
- No harsh chemicals like formaldehyde, DBP, and toluene
- Doesn’t chip
- Heals the nail damaged by harsh chemicals
- Has the correct consistency and runs smoothly without been overly thick or thin
- Is durable and long lasting
What Are the Disadvantages?
- Like all treatments, some people will be immune to its positive effects.
Unique Features of Dr’s Remedy
- These polishes aim to improve the health of your nails while at the same time treating the fungal infection.
- They are free of harsh chemicals and are a boon for those with allergies to chemicals. The absence of chemicals means the odor is gone.
- The exclusive use of essential oils, along with vitamins, speeds up the healing process.
DaniPro Antifungal Infused Nail Polish
A newbie in the market, DaniPro AntiFungal Infused Nail Polish has fast become a brand to reckon with in the nail treatment field. It has been created by a New York Podiatrist, Dr. Gary Evans. DaniPro uses Undecylenic acid as the main ingredient to target the stubborn fungal infections.
It is free of all harmful chemicals and has been proven to wage war with the fungus for seven straight days. Once that time is up, remove the polish with a non-acetone nail polish remover.
DaniPro comes in several beautiful colors and also in clear tones. It is safe and effective.
What Are the Advantages?
- There are no harsh chemicals like formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, DBP, and toluene.
- The brand shows social consciences by not testing the product on animals.
- The polish is smooth to apply.
- It dries fast.
- Doesn’t chip easily.
- The shaker ball feature ensures consistency of the polish.
What Are the Disadvantages?
- Some people find it really hard to remove with the non-acetone remover.
- Others are unhappy with the consistency of the polish.
How Toenail Fungus Can Be Treated
- Oral anti-fungal medicines– You’ll find that medicines are hassle-free and they work, but at the risk of several side effects.
- Topical fungal medications – They can sometimes be a safe and effective way to remove toenail fungus. Less risk is involved.
- Mechanical nail removal – One can surgically remove the infected nail. No need to take medication, but it works only 50% of the time and is painful. Since it’s a surgery, you will have to take antibiotics, and there’s always the risk of an ingrown toenail.
- Laser treatment – Using high-intensity light to treat the condition. It is fast, hassle-free, and doesn’t involve medication. It is expensive and insurance normally doesn’t cover it. The Cure Ex laser device is a more affordable alternative.
- Chemical nail removal – Using chemicals to dissolve the nail completely, but it’s hard to keep infections at bay.
How to Prevent Toenail Fungus
- Cut your nails: This is the most basic thing that you should do. With properly sanitized scissors or clippers, cut your nails just enough and not too deep. Too deeply cut nails invite infection. The Harperton Klipit nail clippers are recommended.
- Don’t wear damp shoes: Always air your sweaty shoes and ensure that the shoes are completely dry before you use them the next day. If not invest in two pairs of shoes. But definitely, avoid wet shoes.
- Do not go barefoot in public places: All public places like the community pool, public toilets, locker rooms, showers are all breeding ground for various germs and infections. By being barefoot you are risking infection. So wear flip-flops or sandals in such places.
- Wash your feet: Always practice good hygiene. Make sure that you wash your feet thoroughly and dry them completely.
- Sprinkle your shoes: In hot and humid weather, the risk of fungal infection is more. It is prudent to sprinkle some antifungal powder in your socks and your shoes before you wear them. This will prevent fungus from growing in the humid places and protect you from infection.
- Take your own nail kit: If you ever visit a nail salon it will be prudent to carry your nail kit to ensure that you are not exposing your nails to infected tools.
Unhealthy, unsightly, and discolored toenails are a put-off. The best antifungal nail polishes have been created to correct this issue. Thanks to the best antifungal nail polish, which we believe is Dr.'s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish, Focus Fuchsia, 0.5 Fluid Ounce, you can remove a fungal infection and cover the visible signs.